Our Pack was first founded on April 19, 1958 with a handful of boys who met in a classroom on the Parkside School campus until the LGI was built in 1969 and since that day over 1,000 scouts in our Pack have enjoyed Cub Scouting. Over the past 65 years we have had a couple dozen Cubmasters serve until their son bridges onto a Boy Scout Troop. Then there was a short hiatus with economic downturn and on 09-09-09 our current Cubmaster, Donn Lovell rechartered the pack with his son and two other boys and since that time he has been running the pack with a great group of dedicated Den Leaders who are all moms and dads in the Pack.
2020 will go down in history for all our youth as the year of ZOOM. We are very proud that WE SURVIVED and strived! While many cub scout packs in our area folded and dissolved, our dedicated Cubmaster and Den Leaders came up with fun virtual meeting ideas and adventures at home that kept our scouts engaged and we actually gained scouts. We had fun backyard camping over ZOOM where the Cubmaster told campfire stories and the scouts completed special home shelter in place adventures and earned special P458 patches and awards!
The tradition of bridging is alive and well in Pack 458. Traditionally when a fifth grade Webelos II, now known as an Arrow of Light Scout choses to continue his/her Scouting adventure they will physically cross a wooden bridge leaving the pack and being greeted by his/her new troop. But before they go they get to nail a brass nameplate on the bridge. And when/if they make Eagle Scout they get to come back in May and changeout their name plate to a special Eagle Scout nameplate. Cubmaster Donn has been working on collecting names of former scouts for the past 15 years and now is up to 100 old scout names.